Saturday 23 August 2008

Insignificant Details

I think I have some explaining to do before I start. I decided that every passing day, I will dedicate one hour, between 4 and 5 pm to do something "completely different". That is, I will try to do something I haven't done before or something that is almost as if I haven't done it before. I'll probably end up using things from my "normal hobbies", only in a novel manner, I guess. What's the point in such an endeavour, one may ask. It's rather simple, really. New things excite me. The process of putting my mind to think in a way it isn't accustomed to fascinates me and excites me to no end. On the other hand, activities lose their appeal to me rather quickly, so I find it harder and harder to motivate myself to get things done. So, the inevitable conclusion is that I should give myself the opportunity to try out something new every day. Hopefully, that will keep me motivated throughout the day! I will post the results of this experiment here, usually a little after 5 pm.

For today, I was going to get a guitar lesson from my brother, but it didn't work out, unfortunately. Instead, I decided to get photos of insignificant details. Photography is one of my passions. It's not exactly a normal hobby, since I don't have a professional-quality camera and I haven't really done any research on the subject. But I do enjoy taking photos immensly, perhaps too much, so I guess it kinda counts.

Insignificant details are things we miss in our everyday life. It's a collection of photos of things I would normally never consider taking photos of, for various reasons. Today, however, I did. It was a strange experience, trying to find small details our minds automatically filter out because they aren't interesting to us. By "interesting", I mean "have an impact on our lives" and I say that because after seeing the end result, the photos aren't completely dull. Quite the opposite, in my opinion. Still, I can't say there's some real meaning in them or that by publishing them I have some sort of message for the world. Click here to view the whole album.


No comments: